New Kitchen Island

So we started the island if you remember from this post here.

So now that the floor is done on the part where the new island will be we can install and finish it.

It looked like this as we placed it in the house.

image

Ran the wire up into it and secured it in place. Then connect it all together and put on the backing bead board. You can see it doesn’t line up with the green tape on the floor. The front has a toe kick that needs to be brought out to make it a solid piece. This will give it the illusion of a piece of furniture, or in this case the old general store counter appearance we are looking for. This was achieved by using 2×4 spacer pieces and one long 2×4 the length of the counter. The trim will hide all of this work.

image

image

Here you can see the trim along the floor. I pre-painted it so it will just need to be touched up once it was nailed into place. You can see the poplar strips added to give it the antique look.

image

This is the other end with the opening for the built in microwave. you can see the wires there for the dedicated line for it. The microwave was suppose to be on a special shelf between the range and fridge, but due to having to allow extra space for the custom corner cabinet we lost space and had to move it. I’m not a big fan on them on the counter. This made sense and would allow a opening for it.

I wanted the doors to be different on this piece than the bead board doors I selected on the cabinets. The pieces had a raised Shaker style doors, so I had a recessed area to work with. I got the brilliant idea to use old ceiling tin on them. I looked and found some online, but they were what I thought pretty expensive. So I figured why not use the fake plastic stuff. A trip to Home Depot, provided me with just what I was looking for.

image

It is PVC and looks like tin ceiling tile, but is made to be used as back splash and has grooves to overlap and pieces to finish off the edges. You can order online if they don’t have the color you want in stock and delivered to your local store. It will be in the kitchen decor/remodel department.  I wanted my doors to match pattern wise so had to use a full sheet for each of the 3 door on the island. It seems a little expensive, but not when compared to original antique pieces if you can find them to fit your cabinets. I think they could be primed and painted too?

image

I measure the door inserts and marked the panels.

image

I then simply cut them with my kitchen scissors. They fit tightly into the insert area. I used liquid nails and put 5 dots on the door area, staying away from the immediate edge so it wouldn’t squeeze out the sides and show. I  then pressed the PVC  Tin Tile piece into the area and rubbed well. I let lay flat for a day and dry.

image

I attached the new hinges and hung them. I had selected the hardware for the new cabinets and couldn’t find anything I liked better so did use the same hardware on the island.

30mm Victorian Glass Knob, and Martha Stewart 3" Bracket Bin Pull in Iron.

30mm Victorian Glass Knob, and Martha Stewart 3″ Bracket Bin Pull in Iron.

The glass knobs are just under $3.99 each. I did get the iron bin pulls for $1.98, they sell now for $4.97.

They didn’t show very well on the black painted island so I took a silver paint pen and rubbed it on them, quickly followed by rubbing with a rag to spread it and get it into grooves.

image

The top is going to be butcher block. I found one at IKEA that is perfect. They sell counters that are a narrower width, but also a piece that is a wider width. Problem is the nearest IKEA is about 3 1/2 hours from us so we need to wait until someone is going that direction that can haul it! So until that happened we made do.

image

This is before the hardware and distressing. I sanded, then stained, and waxed to give it and old used feel. If I would have know about milk paint then, it would of been milk painted with some chipping goodness! However it turned out good, and even people who love antiques think I “found” my old store counter and converted it! We finally got the top, the cabinet maker cut it down to fit. It was wired with an outlet at both ends and one inside on a separate circuit for the microwave. I tested several stains and found one that matched the Red Oak that is on the floor on 2 sides of it. And used a natural Bees Wax to seal it. It gets a good cleaning sanding and re-waxing about every 6 months.

image

While on my trip to see my son, (here) I purchased a few things at IKEA. I installed them on the island to give it more of that general store look and also some practical storage solutions too.

image

And a view of the microwave end too.

image

Here you can see the distressing also. Just were it would be worn perhaps from customers rubbing against it while talking to the shop owner, or from being moved or cleaned over the years. I love it. It is functional and looks great too. Plus I like the fact I can say “yeah I built it” ( insert big smile).

If you have hung on long enough to read this whole post thank you! Sorry about the quality of the photos. There was no lighting installed in here when most of these were taken. Also before my new camera purchase. (Yeah)

So more to come, the lower cabinets are next, and another great repurpose project too.

Hugs,

image

 

image

image

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “New Kitchen Island

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s